Can I discharge my student loans if I am dissatisfied with the school I attended?

Historically, dissatisfaction with your school does not amount to a defense on federal student loans or private ones for that matter but there has been some changes. Recently, with the failure of Corinthian and ITT, there's been a new program that came out November 1 of 2016 called The Defense to Repayment. It has no track record yet, so we don't know yet the success of the program but it's intended for folks who went to a school that were defrauded. They were told something that wasn't true, they relied on that, they took out federal loans.

Now, they can obtain a discharge as long as they're making the claims within the correct statute of limitations. It is possible, even though historically usually the courts had basically said, "You're stuck with them."

Contact Us • Free Consultation*
phone number